Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nightmare

I dreamt of my mother last night. She was screaming at me as she always did when I was a child. In this dream time had receded and I was once again five years old, standing before her. Cigarette smoke surrounded us both, creating a thick fog of stench.

“You’re nothing but a mistake, one I should have gotten rid of a long time ago.” She yelled.

I noticed her hands were clenching, getting ready to strike me.

I tried to scream for her to stop but I couldn't. It was as if an invisible hand had wrapped itself around my throat, choking off the words before I could say them.

Her hand started clenching faster, signaling that the blow was soon to come.

My breath started coming in short, fast gulps.

She lifted her hand and I tried to turn away so I would not see it coming. As her hand swung towards me my voice finally erupted in a scream. I woke up before her hand connected, only to discover that I was alone in my apartment, screaming at nothing…

Rocking back and forth used to comfort me when I was a child but doesn’t have same effect any more so instead I reached for the pills on the night stand and washed the last one down with a shot of whiskey. As I waited for the familiar calm to overtake me I found myself looking up at the ceiling, begging an invisible deity for peace.

“God, please let the dreams stop.” I whispered

God doesn’t answer.

He never answers...



No comments:

Post a Comment